|Role: Treasurer of Protection International AISBL (unpaid volunteer position) |
Mandate: Two-year term, renewable
Starting date: January 2023
Guider: Chairperson of PI Global Board
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop human rights defenders’ capacities to manage their own security in the face of risks, threats and attacks and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where human rights defenders are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its global office in Brussels, but primarily works where protection of human rights defenders is needed. PI has long-term presence in several countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Under its Global Strategy 2019-2023, PI is gradually transforming into a network of Hubs, establishing regional offices that work in a flexible manner across several countries.
The role of a Treasurer
The current Treasurer has come to the end of his term. PI is therefore now looking for a Treasurer to serve as a statutory director of Protection International AISBL.
- Protection International AISBL is an international non-profit association, subject to Belgian law.
- The entity has a number of branches and subsidiaries internationally.
- The Treasurer is member of the Global Board, which reports to Protection International’s General Assembly.
- Global Board members are responsible for both the governance of Protection International’s network of Hubs and for oversight of staff based in Brussels.
- The Treasurer will serve a two-year term that is renewable.
- The working language of the Global Board is English.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure that PI AISBL complies with and operates within its governing document and relevant legislation and financial regulations
- Ensure the financial stability of PI by providing strong fiduciary oversight over PI’s financial management
- Ensure that adequate financial controls are in place, proper records are kept, and that Protection International operates within a sound financial framework
- Provide oversight of financial policies, procedures, and systems to manage risk and ensure that PI resources are protected
- Regularly report on the financial position of PI at Global Board meetings drawing attention to key issues in an easily understandable way
- Advise the Global Board on the financial implications of its strategy and policy objectives
- Oversee the process of appointing auditors, and act as the chief liaison between the Global Board and the external auditors
- Provide global oversight of the finances of Protection International’s branches
- Review visit reports of internal audits, and ensure that staff are taking appropriate actions in relation to entities which face financial problems and/or risks
- Keep the Global Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Work with and support the Head of Finance and Administration to ensure that the financial information presented to the Global Board and wider movement is accurate and timely and comprehensible to diverse audiences
- Oversee implementation of new ERP system and the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts, and audits
- Support Protection International in improving accountability and impact
- Reviewing budget proposals and overseeing global resource allocation, ensuring resources have been allocated to achieve maximum effectiveness in relation to human rights objectives
- Reporting bi-annually to the General Assembly on financials (typically in June the audited accounts for the previous year and in November the budget for the following year)
- The Global Board usually meets 4-6 times per year, in meetings lasting two half days, typically held on Friday and Saturday afternoons (CET); meeting are either online or hybrid (the in-person part in Brussels)
- Regular meetings with the Head of Finance and Administration, usually monthly (in-person or online)
- Optional: Attendance at an annual global seminar with Board and Staff outside Europe
- In total this will likely mean spending up to half-a-day per week on meetings, correspondence, and representation.
- The role is not remunerated, but expenses for travel will be reimbursed.
What are we looking for?
- Understanding of the risks and threats that defenders around the world face;
- Experience as a Board and General Assembly member in an international or regional organisation with high level familiarity on good governance practices and arrangements; and
- Experience in financial management and control.
- A proven commitment to human rights movements;
- Senior level experience with leadership duties in an organisation similar to Protection International or in other non-profit organisations; and
- Previous participation in organisational development processes for non-profits.
Skills & Knowledge
- Integrity, credibility, ethical behaviour and passion for realisation of PI’s vision and mission;
- Committed to promoting a culture of excellence and transparency;
- Objectivity and independent thinking with a forward-looking perspective and clear strategic vision;
- Ability to unpack complex issues;
- Well-developed conceptual thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Willingness and ability to take charge in times of crisis;
- Exhibits strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities to be able to foster good relations with Global Board members, auditors, staff and the wider movement;
- Demonstrates tact, respect, and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively;
- Experience of external representation, delivering presentations and communicating complex financial information in a simple and engaging way to non-financial audiences and non-English speakers;
- Coaching skills and ability to motivate and develop the finance function;
- Understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities;
- Strong knowledge of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion; and
- Diplomacy and affinity with cultivating relationships and consensus building among diverse individuals.
- English is mandatory.
If you feel that you may be a match, are interested and are able to contribute to a growing and credible organisation, please:
- Send in your CV (without picture please!) of not more than 2 pages and cover letter, in English, as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning PI Treasurer in the subject line. We will receive applications until the position is filled.
- Include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g.Firstname_Familyname_CV.doc
- Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview with PI Global Board members.
- Later in the process professional references and a criminal record certificate will be requested. The position is subject to background checks, and the final candidate will be required to understand and sign the Protection International Code of Conduct.
For further information about the role, please contact email@example.com.
Further information about Protection International is available on www.protectioninternational.org.
Protection International is an equal opportunity employer. The organization shall not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in advertisements for employment, recruitment and other conditions of employment, preventing discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Adhering to Protection International means to comply with our Code of Conduct & Ethics, Anti-Corruption Policy, Security Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy, Policy for Protection from Harassment, Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination. To access these documents, please insert the following password: crown prominent smartness flashback province
While Protection International encourages female applicants, gender and geographical balance will be considered for this role.