|Job Title: Website Content Management, Copywriting and Proofreading Consultant|
Duration: 20 working days
Starting date: October 1, 2023
Deadline: August 27, 2023
About Protection International (PI)
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop HRDs’ capacities to manage their own security as their struggle against impunity and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where HRDs are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its global office in Brussels, but primarily works where protection of HRDs is needed. PI has long-term presence in several countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America. Under its Global Strategy 2019-2023, PI is gradually transforming into a network of Hubs, establishing regional offices that work in a flexible manner across several countries.
Protection International is in the process of creating a new global website, which contains five regional “sub-websites”. Protection International seeks a content management professional who supports PI in reviewing the entries (news, tools) of our previous website and reorganizing and updating them into the new global website and regional sub-websites. This position will also draft content to support the creation and translation of content for PI’s new regional sub-website and improve, when possible, the SEO of PI’s website entries (news, articles, tools, etc.).
This consultancy will focus on the piloting of PI’s first “regional sub-website”, which will cover PI’s work in South-East Asia and Africa (sub-websites in English).
Scope and Objectives
- Website Information update: systematically reviewing the entries (news, tools) of previous PI’s website and reorganize and update them into the new global website and regional sub-websites, adding the relevant tags (which feed the “Search” function), create and update hyperlinks and uploaded documents, classify in relevant sub-websites, update featured images when needed, etc. Fix general indexations issues by replacing old URL with new ones.
- Upload approved content to the new website and sub-websites, in coordination with the Web developers who are working in the new sub-web structure and layout. A special dedication will be paid to the development of the South-East Asia sub-website as a first pilot, which will serve as a reference for the creation of the other regional sub-webs.
- In coordination with the regional focal points of Africa and South-East-Asia, propose region-specific content about PI’s work, curate high quality pictures, proofread final content; propose and/or create infographics or visual materials that will help to improve the viewers’ experience and ensure a neat format all through the new website and sub-website entries.
- When possible, improve the SEO of PI’s website entries (news, articles, tools, etc.) through focus keywords, following RankMath guidelines.
- Ensure that all of the materials created for the website are properly updated, labeled and filed by the completion of the consultancy.
Timeline, working days and venue
The estimated time foreseen to complete the work is 20 working days (of 8h/day), distributed as follows:
- Organisation of the content of PI’s previous website into PI’s new global / regional website (SEA, Africa): 14 working days (approx. 900 entries to classify, with a dedication of 5-10 min per entry).
- Co-creation, proofreading and upload of the content to create PI’s regional sub-websites for SEA and Africa: 4 working days
- Overall revision, miscellaneous tasks (2 days)
The estimated working period in which these 20 working days can be distributed is 01 October through 30 November 2023. Daily work-plans should be discussed with and approved by the consultant focal point in PI. The consultant can distribute the working days relatively freely, as long as the content creation and uploading advance constantly during the period and is coordinated with PI team and the web developers. By “constantly”, we mean that at least 10 days should be invested in this task per month.
Both PI Global Team and the Web developers are Brussels-based, however the consultant is expected to work remotely and participate to virtual meetings as required.
- List of reviewed and updated website entries (with working links, attached documents, neat format, correct labels, SEO details, etc.).
- Finalised PI South-East Asia and PI Africa sub-websites, with all content to date organised and uploaded
- Organized folders containing the final versions of the content (text, infographics, images) within PI’s internal collaborative/archiving platform (NextCloud)
- A list of items that can be created/improved upon with the support of graphic/web designers after the completion of the consultancy
Job requirements & necessary skills
|Relevant university degree or at least 5 years of experience||X|
|Relevant professional training courses (Human Rights Defenders, humanitarian and development sector, management, etc.)||X|
|Minimum 3 years of Experience in Communications and/or Website Content Development, Copywriting, Proofreading||X|
|Proven experience in internal communications at an NGO||X|
|Proven experience uploading content to Websites using basic Web-creation softwares as e.g. WordPress / Elementor (no coding knowledge is required).||X|
|KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS||Required||Preferred|
|Advanced skills of SEO copywriting and/or Rank Math standards||X|
|Highly organised/time management||X|
|Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)||X|
|Enthusiastic, self-starter who is able to work autonomously, under pressure and with attention to detail||X|
|Demonstrated capacity to communicate clearly and effectively to a wide range of – expert and non-expert audiences||X|
|Mastery of Academic English: A demonstrated ability to engage with academic texts and produce high-level written content.||X|
|Good command of a second language (Spanish or French)||X|
How to apply
Submit your application to the following email address by August 27th: email@example.com
Applications should include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
- Samples of your academic writing or publications that best showcase your proficiency in academic English
- A consultancy budget proposal, disaggregated by daily fee (as per 8h/day)
Kindly add “Consultancy PI Website” in the email subject.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain posted until a qualified candidate is selected. We will announce extension of deadlines when needed. We thank all candidates for their interest and we will aim to send feedback as much as we can, however, with the high volume of responses and our internal capacities, we extend our apologies in advance if we are only able to contact short-listed candidates.
Protection International is an equal opportunity employer. The organization shall not discriminate and will proactively apply affirmative action principles against discrimination in advertisements for employment, recruitment and other conditions of employment, preventing discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
PI works towards feminist leadership and abide by the principles of inclusion, diversity and equality. We, therefore, encourage female applicants, people of colour, people with disabilities, and non-binary and genderqueer people to apply.
Adhering to Protection International means to comply with our Code of Conduct & Ethics, Anti-Corruption Policy, Security Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy, Policy for Protection from Harassment, Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination.