Enrolment for the 2023 e-Learning Programme is Now Open
Protection International will be running the first 2023 edition of the e-Learning Programme “Security and Protection Management for Human Rights Defenders and Social Organisations” from 30 January to 23 April. The online course is available in English, Spanish, and French
For an application form and detailed information about the course, please send an e-mail to Ángela Díaz before 15 January 2023: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for registration: 15 January 2023
- Course starts: 30 January 2023
- Course ends: 23 April 2023
- Tutors: Paola Carmagnani and Sylvain Lefebvre
- Administrator: Ángela Díaz
- Designed for: NGOs, human rights defenders and their communities, social development or social justice organisations and coalitions, humanitarian aid workers. Applications from groups of 2-3 people will be prioritised.
- Duration: 72 hours over 12 weeks (approximately 6 hours per week).
Why take this course?
Protection International’s e-Learning programme is an educational and training initiative for all those who face security risks because of the human rights, humanitarian or social development work they do. The aim of the course is to contribute to the development of a range of skills, capacities and strategies enabling human rights defenders to better manage the security and protection of their organisations and communities.
The e-Learning programme incorporates new approaches and methods, with a focus on protection networks and collective protection, which are the result of the experiences and lessons learned by Protection International over the years. This course encourages interactivity and student participation. The lessons accommodate different learning styles, there are elements of gamification for example, allowing for a more enjoyable learning experience.
Protection International has adopted an integrated and situated approach to conducting risk analyses and designing protection plans. This means that we will incorporate the physical, digital and emotional dimensions of security for the course participants. It also means that we include a perspective based on both the concrete situations of risk faced by defenders and the identities of defenders (through a gendered and intersectional approach). Throughout the e-Learning programme, we will approach protection and security in a way that is based on concrete risk situations and from the practices of defenders themselves.
Whom is this course for?
This e-Learning programme is for members of organisations who may experience risk because their work involves human rights, social development and humanitarian aid. Proof of experience working in these fields is required for registration.
This programme will prioritise the enrolment of people commissioned by an organisation, association or community, who will be able to apply what they have learned on the course to a broader group or collective. We will also prioritise groups of 2-3 people within said organisation, association or community.
How does it work?
What do I need?
- A computer (PC, Laptop, Tablet or a Smartphone);
- Access to the Internet (Mozilla Firefox is recommended);
- The ‘’New Protection Manual for Human Rights Defenders’’, which can be downloaded for free (in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic, Indonesian and Swahili) here.
e-Learning programme Certification
Upon successful completion of the final assessment of the course, students will be able to obtain a certificate. Each module is comprises activities and exercises that are mandatory for receiving a certification.
For detailed information about the e-Learning programme, please contact Ángela Díaz at email@example.com