Applications for the 2022 May Edition of the E-Learning Programme Are Open
Protection International will be running the second 2022 edition of the online course “Security and Protection Management for Human Rights Defenders and Social Organisations” from 9 May 2022 on. The course is available in English, Spanish, and French
For an application form and detailed information about the course, please send an e-mail to Ángela Díaz before 4 April 2022: e-learning [at] protectioninternational.org
- Deadline for registration: 4 April 2022.
- Courses starts: 9 May 2022.
- Courses end date: 31 July 2022.
- Director: Mauricio Angel.
- Selection should be made by: 18 April 2022.
- Tutors: Paola Carmagnani and Sylvain Lefebvre.
- Administrator: Ángela Díaz.
- Designed for: NGOs, human rights defenders and their communities, social development or social justice organisations and coalitions, humanitarian aid workers. Applications from groups of 2-3 people will be prioritised.
- Duration: 72 hours over 12 weeks (approximately 6 hours per week).
Why take this course?
Protection International’s new E-Learning programme is an educational and training initiative for all those who face security risks because of the human rights, humanitarian or social development work they do. The aim of the course is to contribute to the development of a range of skills, capacities and strategies enabling human rights defenders to better manage the security and protection of their organisations and communities.
The new training programme incorporates new approaches and methods, including protection networks and collective protection, which are the result of the experiences and lessons learned by PI over the years. This new course encourages greater interactivity and student participation. Teaching modifications accommodate different learning styles, including gamification allowing a more enjoyable learning experience.
For this new edition, Protection International has adopted an integrated and situated approach to conducting risk analyses and designing protection plans. This means that we will incorporate the physical, digital and emotional dimensions of security for the course participants. It also means that we include a perspective based on both the concrete situations of risk faced by defenders and the identities of defenders (through a gendered and intersectional approach). Throughout the course, we will approach protection and security in a way that is based on concrete risk situations and from the practices of defenders themselves.
Whom is this course for?
This programme is for members of organisations who may experience risk because their work involves human rights, social development and humanitarian aid. Proof of experience working in these fields is required for registration.
This programme will prioritise the enrolment of people commissioned by an organisation, association or community, who will be able to apply what they have learned on the course to a broader group or collective. We will also prioritise groups of 2-3 people within said organisation, association or community.
How does it work?
What do I need?
- A computer (PC, Laptop, Tablet or a Smartphone);
- Access to the Internet (Mozilla Firefox is recommended);
- The ‘’New Protection Manual for Human Rights Defenders’’, which can be downloaded for free (in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic, Indonesian and Swahili) here.
Upon successful completion of the final assessment of the course, students will be able to obtain a certificate. Each module is comprises activities and exercises that are mandatory for receiving a certification.
For detailed information about the course, please contact Ángela Díaz – e-learning [at] protectioninternational.org