As a member of the Human Rights and Democracy Network (HRDN), Protection International fully endorses the “European elections campaign: Stand 4 Human Rights”, encouraging MEPs to pledge their commitment to human rights ahead of the 2014 European Parliament elections.
|The HRDN comprises 47 NGOs operating at the EU level in the areas of human rights democracy and peacebuilding
The pledges outline straightforward actions that future MEPs can commit to undertaking:
- to promote the EU’s founding principles and objectives of its human rights and democracy policy
- to publicly and privately raise human rights abuses and cases of individuals at risk
- to regularly meet with NGOs and human rights defenders
- to support the improvement of the European Parliament’s work on human rights and democracy such as by actively supporting the establishment of a fully-fledged human rights committee
- to improve transparency within the European Parliament and other EU institutions.
The full text of these pledges can be accessed on the campaign website
The website also contains a list of sitting MEPs who have already signed the pledge.
Visit the campaign website www.stand4humanrights.eu
Follow the campaign on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hrdnetwork
Follow the tweets on the campaign from: www.twitter.com/HRDN_EU