In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders, and in the framework of the Association of Human Rights Institutes (AHRI), the Pedro Arrupe Institute of Human Rights of the University of Deusto is organising the next Annual AHRI Network Conference, that will take place between 7 and 9 September 2023, at the University premises in Bilbao (Spain).
The core topic of the Conference is “Human Rights Defenders under Siege”. Defending human rights is a highly dangerous activity in a number of countries. Protection International is a collaborating partner in the organisation of this conference.
The Conference intends to build a plural space where academics, public institutions representatives, and, above all, human rights defenders, come together to discuss and exchange experiences and good practices that will facilitate the defense of all human rights in an increasingly complex scenario.
Alice Nah, Chairperson at Protection International and Associate Professor at the Sociology Department of Durham University in United Kingdom, will be among the Conference speakers.
Call for Papers
Organisers invite scholars, human rights defenders and institutional representatives to contribute to reflect on the above mentioned topics, by submitting a 500 words abstract on any of the following four thematic panels by April 21, 2023:
- Panel 1: Who is afraid of HRDs? Taking stock of the achievements and shortcomings of the UN Declaration on HRDs.
- Panel 2: Shrinking space for civil society: barriers and drivers for the defense of human rights
- Panel 3: The role of the Academia in the support to HRDs
- Panel 4: Public policies and normative frameworks for the protection of HRDs
Successful applicants are expected to submit a paper of 4000 – 6000 words by June 30, 2023.
The Call for Papers and application process can be found on the downloadable document bellow.
Important dates: Annual AHRI International Conference
- Deadline for submission of abstracts: Friday 21 April 2023
- Notification of selected abstracts: no later than Friday 12 May 2023
- Successful applicants will be expected to submit a paper of 4000-6000 words by 30 June 2023.
- The conference will be held at the University of Deusto in Bilbao from 7 to 9 September 2023.