|Consultancy : Advocacy Consultant
Duration: 7 months consultancy contract, renewable
Starting date: ASAP
Reporting line: Protection Officer
Protection International (PI) is an International NGO that contributes to the improvement of the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) throughout the world. PI provides tools to develop HRDs’ capacities to manage their own security as their struggle against impunity and work in favour of human rights and democracy in their respective countries or regions. PI seeks to contribute to a situation where HRDs are recognised as legitimate actors for social change and to an environment where they can exercise their right to defend universally accepted human rights.
Protection International has its global office in Brussels, but primarily works where protection of HRDs is needed. PI has long-term presence in several countries of Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Scope & Objective
Part of the project continuation from 2020, PI Indonesia wants to continue the advocacy effort that can positively impact HRDs in Indonesia in general and under the Bersihkan Indonesia coalition specifically. An advocacy expert is needed to support the work of the team in Indonesia.
- Assist in preparing HRD situation report, advocacy document including press release;
- Representing YPII in advocacy issue within network, media, and public;
- Prepare and implement YPII activities and programs, including the preparation of documents and reporting;
- Develop organizational security planning document;
- Develop and conduct safety training sessions and propose new guidelines for the protection of human rights defenders according to the specific needs of the local, national, regional and global context;
- Responsible and report on training sessions in a comprehensive and punctual, complete with photos and documentation from the field (including evaluations and suggesting recommendations on possible adjustments);
- Analyze the situation of Human Rights Defenders and Human Rights Organizations at risk in Indonesia and provide security training for and with them;
- Contribute to conducting research related to the risks faced by human rights defenders (in particular litigation and reactive strategies used by defenders) in Indonesia;
- Monitoring and documenting cases and incidents relating to human rights defenders at risk, including by audiovisual means, when in charge of running the program;
- Participate actively in various organizational coordination meetings;
- Contributing to the development of advocacy activities and documents in coordination with YPII;
- Cooperate with Human Rights Organizations at various levels (local, national, regional and international) with a view to building or strengthening relationships and the possibility of developing partnerships;
- Collaborating with CSO (Civil Society Organizations), international organizations, government agencies, political parties, state institutions, the private sector and the media in Indonesia in the protection of human rights defenders;
- Supporting in proposal development in regards to advocacy matters;
- Collaborate and prepare reports on fundraising, programs and thematic topics;
- Sending timely evidence and other accompanying documents to financial and administrative staff, as well as other information required for smooth administration, no later than 7 (seven) calendar days after the activity takes place;
- Collecting data, to document and to write the annual report on the situation of human right defenders in Country;
- Actively following the political situation in Indonesia and contributing to the analysis of organizational politics.
- HRD situation report
- training sessions for HRDs
- new guidelines for the protection of human rights defenders according to the specific needs of the local, national, regional and global context;
- Relevant university degree in policy advocacy or similar experience
- Preferred relevant professional training courses (Human Rights Defenders, humanitarian and development sector, management, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years of Experience
- Proven experience as an Advocacy and Networking; preferably with an international non-governmental organization.
- Experience in the issue of human rights defender and protection.
- Experience in public policy in Indonesia related to the human rights situation.
- Experience with networking in human rights networks.
- Experience in managing implementing partners related to advocacy ; Experience in managing internal control for organizational accountability ;
- Familiar with PI Indonesia’s work in advocacy.
Skills & Knowledge
- Highly organised/time management
- Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Enthusiastic, self-starter who is able to work autonomously, under pressure, in decentralized teams, and think outside the box
- Demonstrated capacity to orally communicate clearly and effectively to a wide range of – expert and non-expert audiences
- IT security management skills are an asset;
- Sound decision-making in line with functions;
- Preferred knowledge and practice on gender equality and open minded in diversities;
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritise;
- The consultant shall be based in Indonesia (national preferably)
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of local language (Bahasa)
- Other languages: Good knowledge of French and Spanish is an asset
Venue & Time Frame
- 7 months consultancy
What We Offer
- Seven months consultancy contract, renewable upon funding.
- First-hand experience in the Protection of Human Rights Defenders
- An open, friendly and multicultural work environment
- A people focused and collaborative way of working both within the unit the post sits under and with other teams
- A great deal of respect for autonomy, room for creativity, innovation, and learning
If you meet the above skills requirements and are interested in applying for this position, please:
- Send your CV (without picture) and cover letter, in English, by 1 March 2024 to email@example.com , mentioning “Advocacy Consultant” in the subject line.
- Include your name in the file name of your application documents, e.g. Maria_Smith_CV.doc.”
- Submit examples of your proposed Methodology to implement the work as well as your Economic Proposal….
- Submit names and contact details of two references together with your application. Do not attach any certificates or references at this stage of the recruitment process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain posted until a qualified candidate is selected. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Further information about Protection International is available on www.protectioninternational.org.
Protection International is an equal opportunity employer. The organization shall not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in advertisements for employment, recruitment and other conditions of employment, preventing discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Adhering to Protection International means to comply with our Code of Conduct & Ethics, Anti-Corruption Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy, Security Policy, Whistleblowing Policy, Policy for Protection from Harassment, Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination.
PI promotes gender equality and strongly encourages women applicants to apply for this position.